What a great year 2015 was!
Lots of changes happened and I managed to meet a lot of my personal goals. I hope 2015 was as great and awesome for you as it was for me!
As I was reflecting on the growth of SOA, I realized that a lot of great things have happened the last couple of years.
SOA has grown beyond my imagination!
Currently, there are over 600 posts published by SOA and by the end of 2016 they may even be more than 700.
This is a lot of content!
If someone would tell me that I was going to write so many posts about calisthenics training, I wouldn’t believe him. The number is just too big.
But now that I look back, it feels good to have written so much valuable content.
However, there is a complication that comes from such a big quantity of content.
What should I read first?
Is it all worth reading?
To make your life easier, I decided to make a quick recap of the 10 best SOA articles that were published in 2015 with the hopes to get the most value in less time.
How The Articles Were Chosen
Choosing the articles by myself would be a very hard task, cause I like all of them a lot.
For this reason, I decided to make the list based on how the community perceived these articles. So the rating is based on total views and Facebook likes with the Facebook like being multiplied by 10.
So, if an article has 3k views and 100 likes, the article is going to have a total of 4k points.
Lastly, in the list aren’t included the articles that are updates of older articles and the interviews of calisthenics experts.
The updated articles are these:
- The 69 Greatest Calisthenics Masters
- The Beastmode 30 Day Calisthenics Workout Plan
- 3 Month Extreme Bodyweight Program
The 10 Best Posts Of 2015
So let’s start…
10th Best Post: 30 Greatest Bodyweight Workout Plans That Won’t Cost You A Penny
In the 10th position with 4.8k points comes a list of the 30 Greatest Bodyweight Workout Plans That Won’t Cost You A Penny.
I wrote this article to help mostly beginner calisthenics athletes who are looking for effective online calisthenics programs.
But this post isn’t only for beginners. There are also some advanced exercises routines if you want to challenge yourself or just to spice things up.
The article contains a list of 30 calisthenics training programs that you can start applying right now without needing to purchase them.
The exercises are divided into:
- Strength training
- Endurance and conditioning
Furthermore, the programs are further divided based on their difficulty level on
This way you can easily choose the appropriate training plan.
9th Best Post: The Ultimate 30 Day Pull Up Challenge
With 5.5k points The Ultimate 30 Day Pull Up Challenge takes the 9th position.
This article got lots of attention from the SOA community when it came out. As a result, a facebook page for those who want to take on the challenge was created.
You can join the Facebook page here:
This article describes a complete 30 day pull up challenge.
The goal of these challenges is to become better at pull ups and to increase your pulling strength and power.
In addition, because of some different exercise variations, your grip strength is also going to improve by a lot.
The article is structured as this:
- Benefits Of Pull Ups. A section about the benefits of pull ups.
- What Exercises Will Be Performed During The Challenge? In this section, the different exercises and pull up variations, that are going to be used in the challenge, are being presented.
- The Different Types of Workout Days. Here the workouts are being described in detail.
- Assessing Yourself & Setting Goals For The 30 Day Challenge. In this section, you are going to learn how to assess yourself so that you can set realistic goals for the challenge.
- How To Warm Up For Each Workout. A short section, on how to warm up for the workouts.
- How To Cool Down After Each Workout For Faster Recovery. A short section on how to cool down after the workouts.
- What To Do During The Active Recovery Days.
- The Ultimate 30 Day Pull Up Challenge. In this section, the challenge is being layed out in detail.
- Frequently Asked Questions. In the last section, you are going to find the answers to some of the most common questions.
8th Best Post: How To Improve Your Balance: A Full Bodyweight Exercise Progression Guide
In the 8th position belongs to the “How To Improve Your Balance: A Full Bodyweight Exercise Progression Guide” with 5.9k points.
This article is focused on exercises that can help you develop both hand and feet balance.
The article is structured as this:
- Benefits Of Balance Training. Here you are going to find some reasons to include balance training into your current routine.
- Balance Training Exercises. A list of balance exercises. The exercises are categorized based on their difficulty and divided into hand and leg balancing.
- How To Train For Balance. Some ways on how to incorporate balance training into your current training program.
- Bonus Section: 6 Amazing Acts Of Balance That Will Scare The Hell Out Of You. A list of some mind-blowing feats of balance.
7th Best Post: 7 Awe-Inspiring Calisthenics Disciplines That Boost Strength & Vitality
In the 7th position with 7k points comes the article “7 Awe-Inspiring Calisthenics Disciplines That Boost Strength & Vitality“.
Most people I’ve met use to have a very limited view on calisthenics. With this post, my goal is to help people understand that the world of calisthenics is a much bigger place than what they’ve actually thought.
In additon, if you have mastered advanced calisthenics skills and you don’t know where to look for other training skills, this can be a very valuable article for you.
This article can also be very helpful for beginners who would like to choose their training direction early on.
In the beginning of the article, I share with you a brief definition of calisthenics.
Then come the 7 calisthenics disciplines, which are the following:
- Street calisthenics. If you are interested in street calisthenics, you can check out this article: How To Become A Street Calisthenics Master
- Parkour. If you are interested in street calisthenics, you can check out this article: Jump To Strength With Parkour
- Climbing. If you are interested in street calisthenics, you can check out this article: How To Use Climbing Exercise To Build Extreme Pulling Power
For every discipline, there is a short description, a list of advanced skills and a list of helpful training resources.
6th Best Post: HOW TO MASTER 9 OF THE HARDEST BODY WEIGHT EXERCISES IMAGINABLE (Part 2)
In the 6th place comes with 7.7k points a post on “HOW TO MASTER 9 OF THE HARDEST BODY WEIGHT EXERCISES IMAGINABLE (Part 2)”
This post is a continuation of the “HOW TO MASTER 9 OF THE HARDEST BODY WEIGHT EXERCISES IMAGINABLE (FULL VIDEO TUTORIALS)“.
As the name of the post suggests, this article shows you how to master 9 advanced calisthenics feats.
The exercises presented on the post are:
- The one arm pull up
- The V-sit
- The one arm elbow lever
- The triple clap push ups
- The back lever
- The standing ab wheel roll out
- The 90 degree push up
- The handstand press
- The harop curl
- Bonus: the hollow back
For each movement, there is a description, a list of progressions, training tips, a list of helpful resources and what to do after you mastered the movement.
5th Best Post: A Complete Guide To AMRAP Training
The 5th position belongs to the Complete Guide To AMRAP Training with a total of 9.3k points.
In this article, you are going to learn everything you need to know about AMRAP training.
More specifically, the post is structured like this:
- What is an AMRAP workout? Here you are going to get a short introduction on what AMRAP training is all about.
- Why Should You Train With AMRAP? In this section, you are going to find out some of the main benefits that come from AMRAP training.
- How Is AMRAP Different From Circuit Training? This is a brief section about tthe differences between AMRAP training and regular circuit training.
- AMRAP VS AFAP. The differences between AFAP and AMRAP.
- How to Warm Up For An AMRAP Workout. A short section on how to warm up for an AMRAP workout.
- How To Use AMRAP For Fat Loss. On using AMRAP workouts for fat loss.
- How To Use AMRAP For Conditioning. Tips and AMRAP workouts samples to improve conditioning.
- How To Use AMRAP For Muscle Gains.
- How To Use AMRAP To Achieve Calisthenics Skills.
4th Best Post: The 34 Greatest Bodyweight Feats Of Strength, Endurance and Skill
In the 4th place with 9.6k points comes “The 34 Greatest Bodyweight Feats Of Strength, Endurance and Skill“.
The purpose of the article is to help you expand your perspective on what you believe to be possible.
The article consists of 34 extreme calisthenics feats of strength, endurance and skill.
Even though I tried, this article is by no means a definite list and other advanced and awesome calisthenics skill exist.
Lastly, there is a section on how to use these feats to help you motivate yourself to train harder than ever before.
3rd Best Post: A Complete Guide To Bodyweight Back Training
In the 3rd place with 12.3k points comes the Complete Guide To Bodyweight Back Training.
Despite the fact that most people are focusing most of their attention on developing the chest, arms and back, I believe that nothing can make you look as strong, big, and muscular as a well developed back can.
If you wanted to build a muscular back using calisthenics but you didn’t know how, then this article is for you.
In this article, you are going to find everything you need to know on how to develop a strong and muscular back by training only with calisthenics exercises and movements.
The article is structured as this:
- Why Should You Train Your Back? In this section, the benefits of having a strong back are stated.
- Should You Train Your Back With Calisthenics Or With Weightlifting? This section is about the differences between calisthenics and weight lifting in regards to back training.
- What Are The Muscles Of The Back? This is a brief section about the anatomy of the back.
- Mastering The Basic Scapula Positions. Applying the information of this topic is going to help you master advanced moves faster.
- How To Warm Up. A short warm up section.
- 43 Bodyweight Back Exercises To Help You Build Strength & Muscle. A list of 43 exercises. The exercises are categorized based on the muscles they target and their difficulty level.
- How To Stretch Your Back To Recover Faster. A section focused on recovery. Here you are going to find stretches and foam rolling exercises for your back.
- How To Develop A Well-Balanced And Muscular Back. A section with some training tips on how to develop a well-balanced and muscular back.
- How To Do More Pull Ups. Some training methods that can help you increase your total pull ups.
- How To Build A Muscular Back. How to train for muscle mass.
- How To Build A Strong And Explosive Back. Tips on developing explosive and maximal pulling strength.
- How To Structure You Back Training. Different training strategies on how to train your back.
- More Training Resources. A list of other helpful resources on back training.
2nd Best Post: 55 Bodyweight Leg Exercises To Help You Build Strength & Muscle
The 2nd best article is the “55 Bodyweight Leg Exercises To Help You Build Strength & Muscle” with 12.5k points.
This article is all about calisthenics leg exercises.
The article is structured as this:
- Weightlifting VS Calisthenics. In this section, I discuss the main differences between calisthenics and weight lifting in regards to leg training.
- What Are The Muscles In The Leg? This is a brief section about the anatomy of the leg muscles.
- How To Warm Up.
- 55 Bodyweight Leg Exercises To Help You Build Strength & Muscle. A list of calisthenics leg exercises. The exercises are categorized based on the muscle they target the most and their difficulty leverl.
- How To Recover Faster. Some training tips and exercises that you can use to recover faster from your training.
- And Finally… The Training Plans. In the last section, you are going to find different training plans that can help you develop any physical quality you want.
The Best SOA Post: 20 Bodyweight Circuits For Rapid Fat Loss
With over 29.5k points, the most popular article of SOA for 2015 is nonother than the 20 Bodyweight Circuits For Rapid Fat Loss.
As the name of the post suggests, it’s about 20 bodyweight circuits that you can use to lose fat really fast.
The circuits in the post are divided into 3 different categories:
- MRT (Metabolic Resistance Training)
- HIIT (Hight Intensity Interval Training)
- Workout finishers
More specifically, the structure of the post is the following:
- The 3 Types Of Fat Loss Circuit Training. In this section, I describe briefly the 3 types of fat loss circuits that are going to be presented in this post and how they compare to each other.
- How To Warm Up Before A Circuit.
- MRT Circuit Training. A list of MRT circuits categorized based on their difficulty.
- HIIT Circuit Training.
- Workout Finisher Circuit Training.
- How Can I Create My Own Workout Circuits, Todd? Here, you are going to learn how to create your own fat loss circuits.
- How To Implement Circuit Training Into Your Current Program.
This were the most popular training post I’ve written during 2015.
I hope this list would be a great value to you.
In addition, I would like to thank you for being part of the SOA community. I wouldn’t be able to write so many articles if it weren’t for the motivational feedback I get from you.
Let’s work hard for an even stronger 2016.
What is your favorite SOA post of 2015?
Let me know in the comment section below.
– bodyweight Todd