Having a good exercise partner can mean the difference between life and death in exercise success. We all need someone to lean on at times and your exercise partner plays a key role in helping you get through these trials. Though we live in a world where we sometimes rely more on our Blackberry than our trusted friend. Relationships have in many ways, flown the coop. How do we find an exericse partner that will stick with us through thick and thin. Below you will discover a step-by-step guide in finding a GOOD one.
Steps In How To Find An Exercise Partner
Step 1- Discover the Quality Traits that Make Up a Good Exercise Partner
If you don’t know these see the article entitled: 7 Traits that Make up a Good Workout Buddy
Step 2- Search In Key Locations
Your workout buddy most likely will not pop out while you are shopping at the grocery store. You must be proactive. Here is a list of places to search when looking for a good workout buddy.
- Your Local MeetUp Group- Search MeetUp.com for fitness groups.
- Gym or Health Clubs- Sometimes you just need to get started and keep your eyes peeled for your potential workout buddy.
- Personal Trainers- Call up your local personal trainer and ask if they have any ideas. Most are extremely friendly and more than willing to help you find someone, even if you don’t utilized their services. Remember, they have clients that need accountability too, above and beyond the trainer. They may be able to become your match-maker.
- Online Communities- Don’t underestimate the power of the social web. Exercise groups within social sites like Facebook or communities devoted only to fitness like SparkPeople.com offer great opportunities to network into finding a good workout buddy.
- Local Parks- Spend some time at your local park. Bring your dog and play frisbee while keeping your eyes peeled for prospective workout buddies. If you do spot someone, don’t be afraid to go up and say “Hi!”
- Local Events- Local events such as community runs, offer great opportunities to rub shoulders with other committed exercise enthusiasts.
- Local Clubs- Especially in larger cities, there are many local clubs that allow you to meet other like-minded individuals. Do a quick Google search such as “Grand Rapids Running Clubs” (If you live in Grand Rapids) and you’ll find several options to choose from.
Step 3- Interview Your Potential Exercise Partner
I’m not joking about this one. Take this step just like how you would if you were interviewing someone for a job you were filling. Create a list of questions that you would want your workout buddy to answer correctly. It’s not about finding just someone to workout with but finding the RIGHT person to workout with. You need to have a similar vision as your workout buddy. Realize again that birds of a feather flock together. Make sure your he has similar interests as you do.
Step 4- Get a Plan in Place
If your exercise partner passes all your questions (or at least most of them- hey, nobody is perfect) than sit down and create a plan. Visit Extreme-Exercises.com and choose a routine. Print off two copies and you and your workout buddy can either workout together or workout separately but keep each other accountable for your workouts.
Step 5- Evaluate Your Relationship
Every so often you need to sit down with your workout buddy and evaluate your relationship. Make sure you both are still on the same page and headed in the same direction. If you are not, it is ok to split. Remember the goal of the relationship was exercise success so don’t be afraid to end it. Yet if you are still on the same page this is a great time to reinforce your commitment. Get some clarity on your goals and help each other achieve them.
Other Resources on Finding a Good Exercise Partner:
Database of People Looking to Workout With You