Welcome to the Horizontal Gains Workout!
We know our readers love a good challenge, so we’ve got a unique and fun one for you today. First, the inspiration:
We all have to get out of bed every morning, but deep down, at some very lazy level, we just want to lay there until the next night rolls over. It’s nothing to be ashamed of. That’s why the snooze button exists.
This workout will cater to the lazy person that dwells deep inside us all, and allow us to get a solid workout without having to actually stand up. Everybody wins! Though, we do recommend you lose the blanket … that could get in the way.
Perform each exercise in the circuit for the total amount of seconds specified (standard is 30 seconds as shown above), then immediately move to the next exercise. Once you finish 1 round, rest for 30-40 seconds. Do 5 total rounds.
Don’t forget to download the workout sheet below to keep track of your progress.
Also, be sure to keep a bottle of water handy during this workout. You’ll only have those 30-40 seconds following each round to catch your breath, so be sure you’ve got some water as well.
Below you will see each exercise demonstrated. It’s important to practice good form above everything else. Under each exercise is a link to one of our best articles related to that particular exercise, for you to further advance your training. Don’t be afraid to explore!
If that circuit is too simple, you can easily ramp up the exercises to make the workout more challenging!
- Replace the regular push ups with diamond push-ups.
- Replace flutter kicks with L-sits.
- You can also increase the exercise duration however you like. So for example, try performing each exercise for 40 seconds instead of 30.
If you’re’ more on the beginner side, don’t worry — you can still take part in this challenge!
- Replace the plank extensions with forearm planks.
- Skip the wide push-ups and keep it to four exercises in the circuit.
- You may also want to try keeping all of the exercises but lowering the time performing them. So for example, try 20 seconds instead of 30.