Now that we have an 8 week old in our house, my morning routine is not as predictable. It’s also harder to get myself out of bed depending on how many times she woke up during the night. However, we don’t buy cereal mainly because the nutritional value in cereal is next to nothing. This means I need to cook something hearty and healthy to get my day off to an energizing start.
This morning I rolled out of bed with less than a hour to get out the door but no worries…I had my Healthy Coconut Fruit Porridge waiting for me! Yummy!
How To Make Crock-pot Quinoa & Coconut Fruit Porridge! (Dairy-free, Gluten-free, & Sugar-free)
I made this very filling and satisfying breakfast “porridge” the night before. I literally dumped all the ingredient into our crock pot, stirred it up, cranked the dial to low, and went to bed.
Here’s a picture of the ingredients:
This makes quite a bit. I almost doubled the recipe but now I’m glad I didn’t. We have plenty to eat for breakfast tomorrow in case little Emma decides to keep us up.
– 1 Cup rinsed quinoa (feel free to use oat groats, buckwheat, etc) I wasn’t sure how to rinse the quinoa since it’s such a small grain but my wife suggested we use this tea strainer. (Above picture)
– 2 Cans of Coconut milk or your favorite non-milk substitute (about 27 ounces)
– 2 Cups of unsweetened applesauce
– 4 cups of frozen fruit (the recipe used frozen peaches but we used frozen strawberries. Also frozen fruit can be expensive. Since fresh strawberries were on sale, we washed and froze about a carton of strawberries.)
– 1 Teaspoon Vanilla extract
– 1 Cup shredded coconut (make sure it is unsweetened if you don’t want consume artificial sweetener)
– 2-3 Tablespoons Honey or Agave Nectar
– 1/8 Cup Chia Seed (We added this for some extra protein)
Add all the ingredients to crock pot the night before – need about 8 hours of cooking time on LOW.
Before serving, stir in a pinch of sea salt.
Serve hot with cinnamon on top. You may also use toasted coconut, silvered almonds or extra fruit.
Give it one more stir before eating as the quinoa sat at the bottom.
Eat & Enjoy!